It's no secret that SNL "ain't what it used to be". And by "what it used to be", I mean in the days of Dennis Miller, Adam Sandler, Farley, Carvey, McDonald, etc etc. (And maybe the times of Chase, Murphy, Ackroyd, Murray, etc etc).
With the exception of Tina Fey- though, I'm getting really annoyed with the constant reiteration of the same Palin jokes over and over again- I'd say the cast(s) have sucked for a long time. I was never a fan of Will Farrell, and I still find him far more annoying and monotonously over-done. But.
Occasionally, there's a really funny skit coming out of SNL. The rastafarian digital this past weekend (also, the first time I've watched in years), the Marky Mark skit from two weeks ago, and the first couple Palin mocks. But, notice something: The rasta skit, and the Marky Mark skit, were done by the same guy. The Palin skit was done by Fey. Worth checking out, also, was a bit in a larger skit where Rev Wright and Bill Ayers appear... can't remember much else, fuck you you suffer the shit that is SNL if you really wanna see it.
So, what's the deal? Is it really worse, or have we- the ones who dislike it now and loved it before- changed? The answer is, obviously, both. In my case, I know my sense of humour has changed significantly. But, also, SNL really seems targetted at 17 year olds (if that) with jokes about shit that only a 27 year old (or older) would really understand. And it's seemed that way, to me, forever.
Plus the musical guests blow dick, anymore. Remember Sinead O'Connor? Not gonna see any risks like that anymore. It seems passe because a lot of what they do has been taken up by others and done better. Daily Show is a blatant rip off of weekend update (which was probably not an idea original to SNL), and is MUCH better even than the horrible Thursday 30-minute version of WU. Mr. Show kicked sketch-comedy in the testicles and then raped it's mom in the pooper, all while wearing clown make-up.
But of course, all comedy has sorta gone this way of shite and shite-ier. More on that, later....
