Thursday, March 12, 2009

Legend of the Seeker

I spout a lot of HATE- exclusively the all-caps yelling, spittle flying, envisioning entrails, kind- here. I especially seem to hate all recent entertainment, and anything that hasn't been canceled. For instance, I hate everything Lord of the Rings; and I was particularly unimpressed with WATCHMEN; but I loved Firefly.

Today, I bring you something different. A new, currently on-going, series. It's not my normal bag of tea- it's fantasy- but Legend of the Seeker is definitely worth watching on HULU.



It's really not as unexpected a development as I first thought. The production team is very similar to Xena: Idiot Hooker, and Hercules: Gaying Up Mythical Assholes. I liked both of those, for the most part. I particularly started to hate Xena when they started into the Christianity thing. Though neither was MUST SEE TV, for me.

LEGEND OF THE SEEKER isn't the newest Raimi brother mythical half comedy with over-the-top tongue-in-cheek, especially in the effects department. Instead it's a drama: serious, honest, and never silly. The effects are there to add to the realism, convince the viewer to suspend their disbelief, and immerse themselves in the world. There are humorous aspects to situations or characters; but these are not the silly stupidity of Xena and Hercules followed by a knowing wink, these are the characters being fully fleshed out, and human.

The acting is superb, the storylines are brilliant, and Terry Goodkind is gonna earn himself a big mess of new fans. The series is based on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth novels. Of course there's some controversy from him and his fanbase; but I haven't read the books, and I didn't come to the series because of him or his reputation. I may go back and read the source materials; a trip into a genre I've never been overly impressed with.

I actually came to the series despite many misgivings. My sister told me about it; and I had caught up on all the other shows I watch online. Bored, with no emails or forum posts or any other means of distraction, I figured I'd watch the first episode. I almost didn't, when I saw that the first two episodes are combined into an hour and a half for Hulu; but the boredom forced my hand. I'm glad it did.

And, if you needed another reason, (and to piss off a particular person) the lead actress- Bridget Regan- is H-O-T.

I have no idea what channel the show is on, or when. I watched the first 13/14 episodes online; and I'll continue to watch it that way. I use Hulu for convenience, the link was above the cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment