The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is probably the coolest thing that's going to happen this year. It's getting switched on September 10, and the big "'splodo" is due October 21. Personally, I can't wait.
I am a physics geek. I love physics. To quote the man, from the laserdiscs in high school: "Physics is Phun!"
However, most people are not physics geeks, don't understand much about physics- or how we know what we know- and probably haven't been anticipating the LHC in quite the same way as I have. Though, those same people have probably heard about it. They've probably heard that the LHC will kill the world.
If the wikipedia article (linked above) isn't enough to dissuade that type of fuzzy logic, alarmist claptrap, and general Bullshit! (to quote Penn & Teller); I provide the resources to further refute the doomsayers: The Extremely Long Odds Against the Destruction of Earth
So, next time someone jokes (No one seriously speaks this shit, amirite?) about how the LHC is going to destroy the world; why not respond by shooting them in the face? Then they won't have to worry about it. Or, if jailtime isn't your bag, ask them if it hurts to be so pedantically pompous and- yet- uninformed, at the same time.
And now, rap:
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment