Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Individualism, a Musing

Individualism is my new banner. Not the Individualism of Anarchy. Not the Individualism of Morality and Philosophy.

Recently, I've found myself rather disgusted with some groups. Feminists, Gay\Lesbian\Transgendered Activists, Anti-racists, and Anti-Discrimination-ists, in general. They seem rather myopic, in general; and so many seem out right hypocritical. It's sad, to me, that such noble causes are so easily dismissed because of their own bullshit.

I, as a "straight white male", am told that I am an oppressor. When I respond to hate and vitriol with hate and vitriol I am marginalized, dismissed, and generally ignored. Whatever happened to: "What's good for the goose is good for the gander"? Why the focus on labeling others, when fighting against the negative labels? Blatant Hypocrisy is stupid, childish, and- often- a sign of fallacy.


I propose getting rid of the bullshit. Destroying the crap. Admitting the objective reality, and general destruction of the myopic stupidity. There should never be a discussion of "race". It should never be a discussion about "sex". Who cares if you practice an "alternative lifestyle"? (No one should).

Everything should be about the individual. Some people are complete shit, not a redeeming quality about them. This is not something to be afraid of, it is something to be acknowledged. If a person is shitty, they should be labeled such and dealt with as such. They shouldn't be labeled shitty because their skin color is different; because of who they want to squat hump; or because they have a different set of sex chromosomes.

Each Individual should stand or fall on their own merits and flaws. Each Individual should be respected as different from all others. Most generalities concerning people, are wrong- no matter who's the target.


Are all "African Americans" "black"? Nope. Ever been to Egypt? What about 3d generation "white" South Africans who are recent immigrants?

Are all Frat Boys sexist idiot rapists? Nope. Go to a campus, talk to every single one- alone.
Rape is far too common in the United States; but if every Frat Boy was a rapist, it would be worse than the most liberal estimates.

Are all poor people lazy and/or stupid? Nope. There are many examples of famous thinkers who died unappreciated and penniless. George Orwell comes to mind, immediately; even if he may not be the best example.

Are all religious people simple-minded idiots incapable of grasping simple logic, credulity, or knowledge? Yes. Not every group is immune to criticism.

More importantly, there is a skeptical conceit of "the sacred cow". The sacred cow being something that is highly dubious, but still hard to be unemotional about and hard to give up on completely. It's okay that everyone isn't perfect. It's fine that some people are epic fails.

Individualism, then, is my idea for a realistic, unadorned, call for the destruction of discrimination- in all its forms. The acknowledgment of difference only in individuals. The breaking down of self-discrimination, and the building up of acceptance for the non-perfect other.


I am not an Irish-American Man nearing 30. I am a human. I happen to be male. I happen to live in the United States of America. I happen to be spawned from people who were spawned from people in Ireland, once upon a time. I happen to be 27, currently. I also, as it happens, need to piss and prefer sweet iced tea over most other non-alcoholic beverages. None of those facts means anything more about me than any of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment